William 6.2

William was very excited about Halloween coming up, and we had seen a commercial for Burger King's Halloween black slushie. When I looked up the information online, I saw reports from people that drinking the slushie, made their poop turn blue. I mentioned this to Will, and of course he wanted to try it even more. So one night I took him out and got him one. I had a sip, and it was pretty delicious! As for the blue poop, after going to the bathroom the next day, I asked him about it and he refused to tell me! Maybe he was embarrassed but I found the whole thing quite hilarious!

Will has a new, funny turn of phrase these days. For the past few months, any time he smells anything good, he inhales and goes, "ahhh, that smells so fresh!" It cracks Michael and I up! The other night we were getting ready to go out for a date night, and I had dressed up and put perfume on. I leaned over to give Will a kiss and a hug goodbye, and he goes, "Mom you smell SO fresh!" I burst out laughing! What a funny thing to say. Better than not being fresh I guess?

The other night we were sitting around the dinner table talking, and Will asked what would happen if he drank the entire Atlantic and Pacific oceans. I responded that his stomach would explode, and then mentioned that one can die from drinking sea water. I said that if you drink sea water, your kidneys would fail. Will dramatically responds, "your kids will go to jail?!" Michael then laughed and said that kids might go to jail too, lol. There have been some memorable misunderstandings on his part, but that was one of the better ones in a while.

Will has been exaggerating or downright lying quite a lot lately. We've had some incidents at school where he got into a conflict with some of the other kids, and then exaggerated what happened. He is very frustrating to get an accurate story out of. I would not have him be a witness - that is for sure!  Anyway, the other night I came into his room to tell him goodnight, and he told me quite a whopper. He said that Michael had come in, very angry, and had yelled at Nora and said, "get your dirty shit to bed now!" At that point in the story I just started laughing, because there is no part of that story that I would ever believe. When I questioned Will a bit more closely, he admitted that it hadn't happened after all, and I gave him a little lecture about the folly of making up untrue stories. After chuckling with Michael about it later, he confirmed that he had told the kids to go to bed, but that there was no cursing involved. That has got to be the funniest phrase though, "dirty shit." I chuckle every single time I think about it.

The other thing that Will likes to lie about, is that Nora is punching him. Sometimes he goes all out and says that Nora punched him, told him she hates him and that she never wants to play with him again. To be fair, sometimes she does do some of these things (and we are working on preventing those kinds of responses in the future), but when she does she A). readily admits it and B). usually looks pissed off and its pretty obvious what just occurred. So its rather funny when Will says that shes done these things, and she just stands there calmly, looking confused and says, "no I didn't!" Will seems to be looking for attention with this kind of behavior, and it is certainly annoying! I also don't like not being able to trust the things that he says. He will sometimes come home from school, talking about a conflict he had on the playground, and I'm never sure if hes straight up lying or something did happen. And if something did indeed happen, I'm not sure if he was the perpetrator or not, despite what he says. Its maddening!


Will is a very intelligent, highly capable kid. He is also very emotional, easily frustrated and quick to tears. Our goals have always been to learn to manage his emotions and to find ways to speak about how he feels, before he gets to the breaking point. Its a work in progress. He reminds me a lot of myself as a kid and I think part of it could be first child syndrome, where he feels a lot of internal pressure to be the best at everything, immediately. Luckily we have a lot of years and opportunities to teach him ways to adapt life around those tendencies.

Comments