William 6.5



We had our first Christmas break a few weeks ago. He was home for two weeks but it felt like 4. Will has always done very well with a rigid schedule. If he is able to do the same thing at the same time, day after day, forever, he is generally a happy-go-lucky kid. He even eats the exact same lunch every day (peanut butter sandwich, grapes, fruit snack and a marshmallow). But change the routine on him and he often struggles. This shows up mainly in  him having a negative attitude about just about anything and everything, and results in lots of fights between he and Nora (which also drives me crazy). So while I tried to keep everyone occupied during break, the poor weather plus lack of physical activity plus change in routine, made Will just a little bit crazy. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we were excited for school to start. And now I am a bit nervous about this summer! But that's future Nicole's problem! ;)


Will had his first few tumbling classes this month. He is the only boy in a class of 10, but it doesn't seem to phase him. He keeps telling me that he would rather do tumbling than T-ball or soccer. He knows how to stick to his strengths, thats for sure! Anyway, after the first class, I asked him how it was. He told me he enjoyed himself and told me a few of the things they learned. Then he sighed wistfully, and said, "I wish Nora could have been there!" Its was so sweet. He really does love her, as much as he antagonizes her!

While Will bickers with and tortures Nora on the regular, in contrast he is usually sweet and helpful to Daniel. When Daniel get stuck somewhere, or needs to reach something, Will is there to help. He will help him put his boots on to go outside, helps him get toys that he wants, and often helps clean up Daniel's many messes. In general Will is a very helpful guy, and I definitely appreciate it!

He is starting to be a more voluminous and slightly more adventurous eater these days. Hes definitely more willing to try new foods, and has even discovered a few new things that he likes. As my pickiest eater, its been a nice change. Of course he loves kids standards such as chicken nuggets, corn dogs and mac n cheese, and his favorite food is pizza. But he recently tried fish sticks for the first time and liked them. And he has been eating more and more veggies. After school I will make a snack plate for the kids to share and I put apples, carrots, cucumbers and sometimes jicama on it, and he eats all of it. It doesn't sound like much, but feels like a minor miracle!

In the mornings hes become completely independent with breakfast. This has been really nice because Daniel gets up at the same time as Will does, and needs to be nursed for 15 minutes before I change his diaper and get him dressed for the day. So its often 20-25 minutes before I get downstairs and am able to help Will with anything. So hes learned to get out and cook his own freezer waffles, and can spread peanut butter on them himself. Sometimes Michael is downstairs, just about to leave, and will help him with some of the breakfast prep, but for the most part, Will does it all on his own. Will has told me how much he loves it when he gets up in time to see Michael in the morning, and watch him leave for work. It must make him feel like a big kid, prepping his meals with his fellow man.

Will really enjoys school and we are both glad that school is back in session. He takes his school work seriously and nearly always completes his all of his schoolwork at school, and as a result, never really has any homework (which I appreciate). I hear from his teacher and from other parents, that he is hardworking, respectful and responsible. And hes made a few close friends that he plays with at recess every day. All in all, Will is doing a pretty good job at life lately. He just needs to stick to that routine!

Comments