Eleanor 4.7

Nora has had this unstoppable snotty nose since September. This is highly unusual for her since she very rarely gets sick, and when she does she's usually over it fairly quickly. Every doctor I asked about it, told me that it can be normal for kids to have long running snotty noses during cold and flu season. But eventually it started smelling like she had a sinus infection. The doctor agreed and we finally got her a prescription of antibiotics along with some Flonase to finally clear things up. While she was excited to finally get rid of the "snot monster" (a fun moniker we used to get her to agree to my sucking the snot out of her nose every day), she was not a fan of the actual medicine itself (it tasted chalky). One funny moment was when I was trying to give her a dose of it, and she told me that she can't wait until she is a mommy, so that she can give bad medicine to her kids! The medicine worked however and I haven't had to suck out her nose in a week now! I'm glad I trusted my gut and made the doctor listen!

Michael's mom came over to watch the kids one day this week (My Dad just died and I went to my Mom's house to be with my family) and apparently made macaroni and cheese for lunch one day. Nora has not stopped talking about how yummy grandma made the mac and cheese. She said that it was so yummy, that her tongue had hearts on it. I thought that was a pretty cute, funny little description. Now every time I make mac n cheese, she tells me that its good, but not as good as grandmas! Little stink!

She and Daniel get along very well during the day when Will is at school. They are developing their own unique relationship, just like I had hoped they would. She is for the most part, VERY sweet and caring. She is interesting in taking part of his care, and likes to help with changing diapers and clothes. She helps him with things and reminds him of the rules often, and he listens! And for his part, Daniel just LOVES her too. He thinks Will is awesome, but no one makes him smile or laugh more than Nora. the two of them get along like gangbusters. The other day Nora gives Daniel a hug around his chest from behind and whispers in my ear, "mom, I just love my baby brother!" So sweet! She even likes to try and change his diaper or get him dressed. Its rather amusing to hear her give him commands like, "Daniel, put your butt up! Lift your leg Daniel!" And he does it promptly and uncomplainingly!

I am part of a buy nothing group in my neighborhood, and we get and give lots of free stuff all the time. Recently we acquired a life sized, life weight, and very realistic looking baby doll from one of our neighbors. It came with a set of real newborn size clothes (were my kids ever that small?!) and diapers. She LOVES this doll, and wants to change its clothes 2-3 times a day (like mother, like daughter!), but hasn't quite mastered the art of baby doll changing. So I have been teaching her and shes starting to figure it out.

Eleanor had expressed a desire to take ballet class a few months ago, and has been taking lessons since then. They finally wrapped up this month and she could not have been more relieved. The last few weeks in particular, it was like pulling teeth to get her to go to class at all. And her level of participation was declining. Which is kind of a shame, because shes naturally very good. She got a natural level of grace and flexibility and moved her limbs just right. But the teacher was a little odd and the class was a lot of hard work, and I don't think she found it to be much fun. Shes requested to do a tumbling class after this and is super excited for that to start instead.


 Will's been doing tumbling for a few months and Nora is very eager to do the same! Nora is a lot like I was as a kid, vivacious at home, but shy and reserved out in the world. This has translated into her sometimes having a bit of trouble making friends at school, and having some anxiety about going to school as a result. We talk about it a lot and I try to give her strategies that might help (like instead of asking if she can play with someone, to just subtly join in the game thats already being played, etc). Maybe its just that shes now been going for the better part of 7 months, but shes finally seeming like shes feeling more comfortable these days. She doesn't ask to stay home and when I ask her about her day, or who she played with, she can usually tell me. Even in my presence (like during play dates or at community centers), she will now ask other kids to play (this is new and big!), and can lead imagination games on her own from there. Last month she refused to talk to anyone, even if I was right next to her, so I am proud of her for trying so hard!

Nora is my sweet little shadow these days. She wants to be, wear, and do anything that I am doing. She loves to hold my hand when we go walking, and she always wants to match with me. Her favorite compliment is when I tell her that something she is doing is like I was as a kid. Shes kind and caring toward her brothers and is learning to stand up for herself to Will and others (which is great! I encourage it!), and takes less flak in general these days. Shes very much got her own wardrobe preferences and loves to wear anything new. Shes not so much into dresses lately, but loves anything purple, pink or sparkly. She still loves unicorns, mermaids, and frequently pretends to be one. She often expresses a desire to fly. She is full of fun and imagination, and I love, love, love this age, and this kid!

Comments